Welcome back to Counting to 5, a podcast about the United States Supreme Court. This Episode is the second part of a two part look at the Court’s unanimous June 19th decision in Matal v. Tam, formerly known as Lee v. Tam, the case about the Asian-American rock band The Slants and their battle with the PTO to trademark their band name.
In Part I, we looked at Simon Tam’s path to the Supreme Court, and explored how this case fits into broader cultural conversations about offensive speech. In this episode, we examine the legal arguments in the case and the Supreme Court’s decision.
- Podcast Part I
Matal v. Tam case documents
- Oral argument: Transcript Audio
- June 19, 2017 Decision
- SCOTUSBlog Case page
- Pro-Football, Inc. [Washington Redskins] Amicus Briefs: Certiorari Merits
Effects of ruling
- The Slants trademark approval
- Redskins litigation: Washington Post
- New trademark filings: Reuters NPR
Counting to 5: